a bullet through crowns (i. chance meetings)

by - 2/22/2015 08:33:00 am


The glossy surface of a strawberry lingered at the bow of her mouth. Tiny teeth dug into its flesh, releasing a bubble of juice, which trickled down her chin and onto her white shirt. A blotch of bright red stained the cloth, like blood from a bullet wound.

Elouise looked down in dismay. Her mother had washed this shirt only yesterday so that she may wear it to the dinner with the Cartwrights; she could smell the freshness of clean clothes and the slight waft of the strawberry that she held still to her mouth. She dropped her hand hastily and the berry tumbled out.

A boy saw the scene play out from a tree overhead, from which he had been swinging his legs idly like a loose puppet to pass the time. "If you ain't gonna have it, give it to me!" he called, pointing to the deserted berry.

Surprised, Elouise looked and narrowed her eyes. He was the boy from school, she recalled, the boy who had claimed he fought a grown man and won, the boy scaled walls like a lizard during the day and hung from rooftops at night by only his toes. Crow, they called him, because of his starling resemblance to the creature. Black hair hung like feathers from his head, and his face ended in a point, whether by the crook of his nose or by the point of his chin. By default, his arms stretched outwards like a bird about to take flight.

"Hey!" Crow protested, as Elouise squashed the berry with the palm of her hand. "What did you do that for?"

Elouise rolled her eyes. "I'm sick of your silly little lies, Crow-boy," she complained, "like how you said you snuck into the King's palace and slept in his bed, and climbed out the window while he was looking the other way!"

"Who said I was lyin'?" he asked. His tone was mischievous, but his eyes were serious. "I don't tell no lies, Louie."

"Don't call me that." She crossed her arms. Hesistant, she asked, "Then prove it."

Crow jumped down from the tree, landing nimbly on the freshly mown grass below. His eyes burned Elouise's with their intensity. "Now that I can do." What choice did she have? She wasn't going to let this poor, scuffy-looking scarecrow of a kid show her up! Lifting her head, she replied, "Fine." Crow held out his hand, smeared with mud and dust, and Elouise reluctantly took it, finding it warm.

Together, they scurried towards the palace.

---

Hey, all. This isn't part of the story.

I asked my friend for a writing prompt and she gave me one word: strawberries.

What started as a description about a strawberry turned into the beginning of a promising story. I have future chapters mapped out in my mind (thanks to you, imagination), but I'm not sure whether I should post more (thinking about it).

Hope you enjoyed the read!


―jo

You May Also Like

6 comments

  1. This is pretty good. I liked the imagery, and you did pretty good for 'strawberries'. This does sound like a promising story, and I'm sure it'll turn out great!

    -autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) although I might not continue this story at all, because it was just a prompt and I didn't make a plan. It could be one of those 'make it up as you go' stories, I don't know!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I understand you're excited but there's no need for repetition dude...
      (Kidding, I know your mobile does that) :')

      Delete

Make sure you want to publish your comment! The delete option isn't working for some reason--will be fixed soon.