best male protagonist (the john green tag part ii)

by - 2/15/2015 08:08:00 am

If you don't know what this is about, see this post.

This was much easier than the last one. Also, MINOR SPOILERS. Read book! Then read post. Okie?

BEST MALE PROTAGONIST = QUENTIN JACOBSEN

“Please stop. You're upsetting the black Santas.”―Quentin Jacobsen


Nat Wolff? Q? Whaaat.
Ah. John Green is very, very frustrating. Being a clever human and all, he knows exactly what kinds of characters pull us in and make us love them or want to be them. 'Nuff said. The end. Nada.

Just kidding.

The thing that distinguishes Q from every other nerdy male protagonist going after the über-cool, out-of-the-league girls is that I don't have that big of an issue with him (I mean, besides the fact that he wanted to play the white knight who'll save Margo and etc.). Miles Halter, aka 'Pudge'? Passive, but still relatable. Colin Singleton? Hard to relate to. Augustus Waters? Unnecessarily extravagant, but still likeable.

He's socially isolated, allowing him to see the world as Margo sees it. He can be wrong-minded (and often is) but you can really see him try to be good, and there's nothing in the world that makes me forgive a character faster then good intentions. If you know Nick Dunne from Gone Girl, I hope you know what I mean, because that's the best example I can give you.

Out of all JG's male protagonists, he was the most real (stay with me, grammar-lovin' folks). I suppose I like a sprinkle of realism in books even if they are in the sci-fi or fantasy genre. Fictional settings are great, but I want to read about realistic people. I suppose someone like Miles could exist, but I think Q struck me as a real, fleshed-out person.


I assume Augustus was the most popular pick. Great character, but I hope you can understand why Q's equally as awesome (if not more).


―jo

You May Also Like

3 comments

  1. Great blog♥

    How about follow each other?
    I follow your blog. Waiting for you♥
    My Blog: http://juliemcqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. nat wolff??? wasnt he already in tfios???? WHAAAAT omg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Wolfie's making a comeback >:)

      Delete

Make sure you want to publish your comment! The delete option isn't working for some reason--will be fixed soon.