the best book

by - 2/05/2015 09:26:00 am





THIS.

This is the most brilliant, haunting, honest and beautifully written cancer book there is.

I've read a few cancer books, from My Sister's Keeper to Me, Earl and the Dying Girl. Zac and Mia is on my 2015 reading list. And of course, there's The Fault in Our Stars, which is infectious and would probably be my second favourite book about cancer, even without the bias that comes from being a big fan of the author's YouTube channel, vlogbrothers.

The book that takes the crown?

A Monster Calls.

The idea, which was created by Siobhan Dowd who did not live to write this book, is both original and self-sufficient, but this book would not have been the masterpiece it is without the prose of Patrick Ness (writer of my favourite trilogy, The Knife of Never Letting Go) and the illustrations of Jim Kay.

I beg you to buy the illustrated version instead of the plain written one; it adds so much to the experience and wonder of reading this book.

Below is the blurb which is on my book (I don't know if there are any other blurbs) that, I think, will give you a good idea of the plot:


The monster showed up at midnight. As they do.

But it isn't the monster Conor's been expecting. He's been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he's had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming...

This monster is something different, though. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor.

It wants the truth.



I liked this book. I liked it because it doesn't romanticize dealing with loss or pain of having a loved one be fatally ill. And at the same time, it didn't shy away from harsh truths. 

I also love Patrick Ness' writing style. He doesn't try to sound distinguished and his writing isn't altogether extravagant; he is starkly different to one of my other favourite writers, F. Scott Fitzgerald. It's simple and straight to the point and easy to read (which worked extremely well in the fast-paced The Knife of Never Letting Go), yet filled with wisdom and sophistication. 

And I'm quite happy I absorbed some of his style into mine.


So that's what I thought of my favourite book in the whole universe. If you aren't interested in reading it, then I'll know I haven't done my job right.


―jo

You May Also Like

0 comments

Make sure you want to publish your comment! The delete option isn't working for some reason--will be fixed soon.