the fear of

by - 2/17/2015 08:32:00 pm



I was reading that yesterday night and getting the chills even though it wasn't a 'horror' book. And then I thought whoever said the fear of darkness was actually the fear of the unknown is totally kidding themselves. Because the darkness wasn't unknown to me; I knew what was in the dark and it was nothing and I was obsessed with this nothing like it would kill me if I stopped obsessing over it. And in my mind, 'nothing' took on the form of all sorts of grizzly things, like murderers or psychopaths, and never supernatural things because supernatural things did not scare me as much as the natural, the realistic.

Last year, I went on a school camp and had a survival night in the woods with schoolmates and chocolate (each group could choose out of chocolate, a torch, better shelter-building equipment and sleeping mats; naturally, we chose the chocolate) and shelter from the rain but not the crisp wind. Everybody was nervous because it was dark and there was no adult supervision (could a Lord of the Flies scenario happen here?) and one could hear the snapping of twigs and scuffling noises near us.

I was invincible. Nothing could hurt me because I was with other people. And I think the fear of darkness is separate from the fear of the unknown, because I do actually fear not knowing how to handle someone who is below rational thought. We fear not the darkness, I think, but being alone in the dark.


―jo

You May Also Like

14 comments

  1. I think I may have chosen the torch XD
    Luv this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would've been smart!
      Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. Yeah. I think I agree with that. The fear of the unknown and fear of the darkness are two separate things. Though at some times, they are a bit related. That night out sounds really fun.... :) Especially chocolate <33

    - autumn
    http://autumnreadsandwritesallday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss chocolate. ;) i'm glad you agree with me.

      Lovely blog btw, and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I would have chosen chocolate too! There is nothing you can't do without some chocolate.
    Very thoughtful! I totally agree. Strangely (for my age) I'm terrified of the dark, but it's so much more bearable with other people around you to hear and talk to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's strange at all! We all fear the dark at least a little bit (probably due to horror movies taking place at night or something of the sort).

      Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  4. "We fear not the darkness, I think, but being alone in the dark." I agree, and beautifully put.
    Chocolate is always a good choice. ;)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, it's a lifesaver. ;)

      Delete
  5. Great post and so true!

    I really enjoyed The Silkworm, but I can definitely see the "scare" factor to this book and how it would get you thinking on this track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete

Make sure you want to publish your comment! The delete option isn't working for some reason--will be fixed soon.