blog purpose

by - 4/19/2015 08:10:00 am

via
Recently I was prompted to find my blog's purpose. I think it was OliviaSophia and some others who inspired me to take a step back and say, "Wait a minute, what is the purpose of my blog?" What do I aim to do? What is my blog about?

To help me, I conducted a survey (by the way, thank you to everyone who did it!). When I asked you what type of posts you would like to read on The Bearable Blog, your replies helped me find that middle ground that we both liked when it came to post content.

Here's what you thought.

Surprising enough, writing seemed to a popular topic, along with my thoughts/opinions, rants, life updates and photography. Then came random posts, tutorials, DIY and reviews.

The Bearable Blog audience seemed to be within the 14-19 range, so I'll stick to that.

Here's what I think.

Many popular blogs that I have seen are usually lifestyle/fashion/DIY related. And I love reading them. I've just never been good at writing about those topics, and sometimes I've felt as though this has been a let-down for some people, although of course, they don't have to follow my blog.

I'm political. I like thinking a lot. I've never been much of a helpful person, and I can't help with you things outside my interest and expertise. I like digging deep, breaking through the exterior of what my life is life and instead drill to the core of my brain, my thoughts and my experiences.

But I also care about what you think. One of the main reasons I blog is because of you, because I love discussing things and reading about what you think and just interacting with you in general.

Conclusion (this is starting to sound like a science report):

The Bearable Blog is going to feature mostly:

  • Thoughts/rants/opinions
  • Life/personal stories
  • Writing
  • Photography
  • Tutorials
  • Reviews

(I even did the professional thing and put it on the header! I'm a professional!)

Sometimes I'll vary the posts, like on special occasions, guests posts and such.

Thanks for tagging along in the confusing roller coaster that was my blog. It finally seems to be going in some direction!

You May Also Like

22 comments

  1. It's always awesome when we find a direction for our blogs—here's to the continued posts as you keep narrowing everything down. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is awesome! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. whoo! good for you, friend. dude i love your blog so much.... it's one of my happy places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always nice to know what you want out of your blog. It gives you a more clear picture :)

    -Kathie K
    A Sea Change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It gives it a sense of direction. Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  4. Ahaha, I love your new header. Especially the snark. (seriously, the "I'm professional!" line had me laughing for so long.) I met a bit of headway last year trying to figure out what sorts of posts I wanted too, so I feel you there -- still working out the chinks, but putting your audience first like you have in this post and the survey is definitely the way to go. To happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :') thanks. I'm sure you'll figure out your blog's purpose, too. As private companies say, "put the user first and all else will follow".

      To happy blogging indeed! :)

      Delete
  5. Your header looks cool :)
    Knowing what to do with a blog and having it's purpose always helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really does help :)

      Delete
  6. I love the header! Looking forward to future posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I look forward to you reading them :)

      Delete
  7. Your header looks great! I love reading your writing/rants, so I look forward to reading more of that on your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! More will come, don't worry ;)

      Delete
  8. that's so awesome you found your blog's purpose :) i'm not quite sure if i have mine wholly figured out, but in the meantime i have a small sense in which way it's supposed to going so i just stick to that. your design is just too cute =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Good luck with figuring yours out wholly, but I don't think there's any problem with knowing slightly what direction you're going in as you are now! Thank you :)

      Delete
  9. Omg I'm so happy I inspired this! Or, at least, was part of the inspiration (sorry I get so focused on me sometimes haha).

    Isn't it fun to find out about your readers! When I went through my survey results I was geeking the whole time. ("Geeking". Wow. Okay. I'll end this comment before further embarrassment arrives)

    O | Life as a Young Lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

      It was fun to read the survey results and knowing it was ACTUAL PEOPLE writing it, which was pretty awesome. I geek too, don't worry. :')

      Delete
  10. I love your header and I'm glad you have found the direction you want to go in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pretty glad too :)

      Delete
  11. this was a really good idea, and i think that it's awesome you found your blogs purpose :)

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you want to publish your comment! The delete option isn't working for some reason--will be fixed soon.