u

by - 4/07/2015 03:02:00 pm

credit
We can't all be Mary Sues.

I mean, are we ever guilty of hating someone for being imperfect? Most of us would say no.

But remember that friendly guy who always helps everyone? One day he acts selfishly, he doesn't help you out, he breaks his perfect streak. In that moment, we forget that he is generous, and see him as selfish. In our minds, we say thanks a lot, you butt.

Or what about the times where we get mad at our friends for not being what we expect them to be? When they don't listen to you rant at 2 o' clock in the morning, because you didn't listen to theirs. When they don't stop being friends with your enemies, because their definition of a good friend differs entirely from yours. I think it's time we stopped thinking, she's a true friend, and start thinking, she's the type of friend I want.

I like to think I'm agreeable most of the time. I like to be independent; I have relatively good self-esteem; I'm not afraid to voice my opinion.

But sometimes I cross the line from independence to isolation; self-esteem to pride; voicing my opinion to losing my temper. My biggest flaws.

Sometimes I can a bastard. I'm tolerant mostly but extremely intolerant of specific things, and those are the moments I lose my head and say bitter words and things I don't mean.

I isolate myself when things get tough. I rarely confide in people about my problems and I hate crying in public. I think it's because I want to seem as though I have no problems that I can't fix on my own.

I was always proud of the fact that I didn't care much about popularity or trends. "I care about things that matter," I'd boast to myself when I was younger. This is extremely damaging, and I want you to promise me not to think this. Please. Because some people do care when they don't want to, and that's okay. Others do care and are fine with that, and that's okay, too. We all care about different things and we shouldn't hold ideas of superiority over each other based on our interests.

When prompted, my friends describe me as friendly, kind, smart. But I'm also the person who can't stand to be around people too long. I'm not über cool; I'm the girl who had a nightmare about Mike Wazowski at ten, and a nightmare about Flappy Bird four years after that. I'm weird. And I can mess up and hurt other people. I still remember the worst things I've said to someone.

And that's all there is.

You May Also Like

14 comments

  1. Wow :) This post was so good! I love how honest it is, but not in a bad way.

    Would you mind if I did my own edition??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      No, I wouldn't mind. I'm really interested to see your side of this, please go ahead :)

      Delete
  2. This spoke volumes to me... Thank you for this. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised...to me it sounds like a mess of a post. But thank you :)

      Delete
  3. This is so honest. I like that.

    I know what you about isolating yourself and your problems. I do that too. It's not necessarily because I want to look like I have it altogether, I guess. I just don't have anybody who I want to be that personal with. I do have one best friend who I do talk to sometimes, but she's very busy, so I don't always bother her with my problems. I'd rather just be independent, you know? Not that I'm perfect, because I am so not. Some people have this crazy idea that I'm sweet and nice, eh, but I'm not always. I don't think anybody is always good, neither is anybody always bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Ah, I agree wih you. I don't really have anyone to be personal with. I'm glad you feel the same way :)

      Delete
  4. I love this post, it really spoke to me. Is that weird, considering I'm only 11 :P

    I love your blog, your design, and just AHH everything!! Keep it up!!

    ~Noor
    www.alittlebitofsunshineblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I don't think it's weird at all, many people of all ages probably have experienced something like this. :)

      I love your blog too! But yeah THANKS :D

      Delete
  5. This post is just 1000% awesome. IT JUST IS, OKAY?! And this: "We all care about different things and we shouldn't hold ideas of superiority over each other based on our interests." Yes, just yes. I would be so so happy if the world could really understand that and put it into practise. -_- Superiority is pretty dark hole to fall into and yup, I trip down there all. the. time. *sigh* I hate crying in public too. I hate drawing attention to myself in public, hehe, I always simmer quietly and then explode at home. Which is a problem too. GAH. Anyway, I loved reading this. And I think (??) this is my first time to your blog but OMG IT IS SO GORGEOUS! I love your header!
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT. You commented? Your blog is one of my favourites!

      Glad you could relate, I let it loose at home as well :') also THANKS.

      Delete
  6. Woah. This post was just so raw and hard hitting.

    Seriously, this post is so relatable and simply inspiring. We're not all perfect, everyone has flaws. I get irritated when someone deliberately goes out of their way to annoy me and I just snap. I can't help it.

    Thanks for this brilliant post, Jo. Amazing as always <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would get irritated as well if someone did that to me. Thank you for the kind words :)

      Delete
  7. "I think it's because I want to seem as though I have no problems that I can't fix on my own." This is pretty much the truth, but everyone else is in denial.
    I just know that this comes from the heart while reading it. So genuine. Wonderful :)

    -nymisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! :)

      Delete

Make sure you want to publish your comment! The delete option isn't working for some reason--will be fixed soon.