top movies of 2015 (guest post by kriti)

by - 7/24/2015 07:55:00 pm

Since half the year is now finished, I thought it would be nice to reminisce by reviewing my favourite movies of the year. Keep in mind that these are just the movies that I've seen and I have a huge “yet to see” list so please leave any suggestions in the comments!

MAD MAX FURY ROAD
What is it? Set in a dystopian future, this post-apocalyptic action film is co-written and directed by George Miller.

Why is it on this list? This is by far one of the best sequels in history, (it’s the 4th in the series so far and was released 20 years after the last one!). It's always difficult to follow up with a good sequel, but Mad Max: Fury Road is a film that I enjoyed (having watched all the series so far).

It also appeals to newer audiences that haven’t seen the originals and encourages them to go back and do so. (Bonus: it has a strong female character played by Charlize Theron).


JURASSIC WORLD

What is it? A sequel to the original Jurassic Park.

Why is it on this list? People say that Hollywood is running out of ideas so it is just making more and more sequels, but I’m glad they decided to add on to this classic. This film has all the appeals of the original parks but in the setting of 2015.

The casting of this movie was perfect with Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, Ty Simpkins and Nick Robinson. Richard Attenborough, I feel, would be proud.


AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON
What is it? Yet another sequel, this time of the original The Avengers.

Why is it on this list? In this film the Avengers move past some (but not all, luckily) of their differences and each character is more fleshed out. This is especially true when the gang is introduced to Hawkeye’s wife and kids.

In Age of Ultron, the directors have tried to expand its demographic by introducing romance among its heroes. It also ended with hints to a future new avengers which has caused some controversy.

FOCUS
What is it? A romantic comedy starring Will Smith.

Why is it on this list? This film has all the charms of Will Smith and even has some unexpected twists. The audience is also pulled into the scams of the leading actress Margot Robbie, due to her solid acting.

HOME
What is it? An animated movie about an alien named Oh.

Why is it on this list? It may have not done as well as DreamWorks had hoped but I definitely enjoyed it. This animated flick features aliens taking over Earth and one befriending a girl determined to find her mother. Various perspectives about human life are explored through the alien and his interactions with one little girl.

INTO THE WOODS
What is it? A blend of all previously loved classic fairy tales.

Why is it on the list? This movie supports the claim that Hollywood is running out of ideas. But it features multiple twists that help seamlessly connect multiple plotlines that run parallel through its characters. Oh and it’s a musical.


BLENDED


What is it? A romantic comedy starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore.

Why is it on the list? It's an Sandler and Barrymore movie, this age-old pairing once again start out hating each other and then falling in love. Predictable, but their struggles are still funny.

THE COBBLER
What is it? Another Adam Sandler movie, but this plot was almost novel. This is like a fairy tale gone bad and the plot features a poor cobbler finding a magical sewing that allows him to transform into the person who owns the shoes. He then uses his new found power to get involved with gangsters.

Why is it on this list?

THE SPONGEBOB MOVIE: SPONGE OUT OF WATER

What is it? We all know who lives in a pineapple under the sea, but in this movie SpongeBob, Patrick and the whole gang and drawn in a new life as they tumble into the human world.

Why is it on this list? All in all it’s a great take on a classic.

Here is a list of movies I am yet to see but if I did they would definitely be on this list somewhere:

Terminator: Genisys (I love Arnold Schwarzeneger)
Minions (this is starting to spread like a plague...an adorable plague)
Fantastic Four (I heard Miles Teller was good in this)
Ant-Man (another Marvel comic turned movie)
Kingsman: The Secret Service (the trailer looked good)
Pixels (it looks like a good idea that seems hard to execute)
San Andreas (the Rock)
Get Hard (for the lols of Kevin Hart + Will Ferrell and Alison Brie)

Let me know in the comments if you have seen these movies and if they are worth watching. Also tell me which movies would be in your best of movies of 2015 so far list!

You May Also Like

20 comments

  1. Mad Max: Fury Road has basically all Tumblr been talking about for the past few weeks, and it seems FANTASTIC, so I may check it out if I ever have time. Same goes for Jurassic World. I loved AoU, though, and while Into the Woods baffled me a bit, the music was lovely. And my parents watched Ant-Man (without me) and liked it! They're pretty clueless about movie plots in general, though, so I would take their opinion with a grain of salt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I kind of watched it, but I was distracted a lot. I can only remember a weird scene with slaves. AoU was brilliant. Ant-Man doesn't look very good, to be honest, not as good as the Suicide Squad. Their not good with movie plots? :') Well, at least the movie was enjoyable for them! Thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete
  2. I want to see Jurassic World and Kingsman: The Secret Service. Age of Ultron and Home were amazing :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to see JW too! Kingsman SS was interesting...lots of violence (in a comedic fashion), but an entertaining movie nonetheless. They were great, weren't they? :)

      Delete
  3. Fury Road is by far the best movie so far this year.
    Avengers is second for me, and third is Ant-Man. It was way better than expected and really funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you agree with my guest poster there. :') Avengers was great, except it focused more on being funny than having a solid plotline. Wow, everyone seems to like Ant-Man. I have low expectations at the moment, but it's good to know that it's better. :)

      Delete
  4. I think that Spy was also an excellent movie! I thought that although Minions was cute and dopey, Inside Out was definitely a better experience as far as animated movies this year go.

    -smilesifyXO
    smilesnomatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guest poster seems to agree with you! I can't wait to see Inside Out. Thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete
  5. I've always wanted to see the Mad Max films, but never quite got around to actually watching them.....
    My sister and I are going to see Inside Out soon, and I cannot wait! It's a very interesting idea, that your emotions are real and have voices.....very interesting.
    I love superhero movies! Funnily enough I was going to see Avengers, then my friends convinced me to see that new Cinderella with them instead, the one with Lily James?
    Big mistake. I did NOT enjoy it, and spent the whole time whining about how we could've saw Avengers making mincemeat out of baddies, but instead had to watch dear old Cinders hop into a fancy carriage and dance with a prince. What fun......I think not.
    (I think I just used this post as an excuse to rant about Cinderella. Sorry)
    (p.s- My writing competition is up and running now! Thank you so much for your feedback, and I would love to know if you want to enter? No rush, I changed that deadline to give you more time. The deadline is now August 5th)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. :')
      It's so creative, isn't it? Pixar always is.
      Awh, I thought the Avengers was better than Cinderella. I didn't like it either, it had no twist or anything new. It was just plain old Cinderella AGAIN. Hopefully you can watch AoU one day. :(
      Oh yes! I would love to enter, thanks so much for changing the deadline for me! Although now I feel guilty. :')

      Delete
    2. Don't feel guilty! It's fine, honestly; to tell you the truth, I'm kind of glad I changed it. July 30th did seem awfully early for a deadline. Now it's August 5th, and we can all relax a bit :)

      Delete
    3. Good to know, thanks Cindy!

      Delete
  6. really enjoyed this post not many people do them and I go to the cinema a lot a wonder what to see,MAD MAX FURY ROAD is great I love your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it, too. My friend Kriti would be happy to hear you liked it. :) Mad Max is awesome, thanks so much, Pastel!

      Delete
  7. This was a great list. It definitely helped me decide what movies I want to see.
    ~ Sanjana
    peridotcove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, wasn't it? Kudos to Kriti the guest poster, of course. :)

      Delete
  8. I've only seen Age of Ultron and Into the Woods—I really enjoyed the former, but I didn't really like the latter, mostly because compared to the stage musical it was a sad attempt at making something awesome. Still, hopefully I can check out some of the other movies around here, and I will enjoy them! :) Thanks for the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen AoU, which I agree, was awesome. Into the Woods I've yet to see, but I'm sorry tohear that you didn't enjoy it! Thanks for commenting.:)

      Delete
  9. Dan Stevens acted brilliantly in The Guest. It was an action packed thriller movie. The Jacket he wore encouraged him to play his role more interestingly. For more features about the jacket, visit my blog. https://goo.gl/JY2Zqy

    ReplyDelete
  10. This list is scandalous!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you want to publish your comment! The delete option isn't working for some reason--will be fixed soon.