v for vendetta - quote challenge (part i)

by - 10/06/2015 07:45:00 pm

via
Heather from Sometimes I'm a Story tagged me for the quote challenge! Check out her blog, her posts kick butt. I'm supposed to do one for three days, but I'll do one per month. Each post, I'll tag three people.


THE QUOTE


"You're in a prison, Evey. You were born in a prison. You've been in a prison so long, you no longer believe there's a world outside. 

That's because you're afraid, Evey. You're afraid because you can feel freedom closing in upon you. You're afraid because freedom is terrifying. Don't back away from it, Evey. Part of you understands the truth even as part pretends not to. 

You were in a cell, Evey. They offered you a choice between the death of your principles and the death of your body. You said you'd rather die. You faced the fear of your own death and you were calm and still. The door of the cage is open, Evey. All that you feel is the wind from outside."

―V from V for Vendetta



...isn't this just BEAUTIFUL?!?

If you're currently scratching your heads like "wha?" then let me explain. V for Vendetta is a movie set in England which is ruled by a dictator―a fascist government. It's about this dude, called V, who wants to restore freedom to the people―he's an anarchist and a revolutionary.

Evey, the girl protagonist and friend of V, spends some time in prison. But this isn't the prison that we're talking about. We're talking metaphorical.

People aren't born into freedom. They're born into a cage. And just like Evey, everyone spent so long being afraid of freedom because of war and disease and fear. So they traded their political power for whatever protection the government offered.

But in her prison, Evey chooses death over compliance. Because she accepted death with open arms, she is free from the leash that binds her to the government, the leash that makes her obey. She is free from her prison.

Watch the movie.


Have you seen V for Vendetta? What did you think of the quote? What's your favourite quote of all time?

You May Also Like

23 comments

  1. I haven't seen V for Vendetta (yet) but I have read about a quarter of the comic book it's based on (and I really need to finish that, too). Great quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It's a pretty good movie. I still need to read the comic. :') Thanks!

      Delete
  2. This is the most beautiful quote ever. Officially. Gorgeous post!

    - www.whatlexieloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. *violently hops up and down in her seat* BUT I LOVE V FOR VENDETTA I LOVE THAT MOVIE I LOVE IT AND IT IS JUST SO GOOD YOU ARE ALREADY WINNING AT THIS TAG that is all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS! V for Vendetta is love. V is life.

      Delete
  4. This movie sounds heavy but lovely. I still loved the quote when I didn't know the context behind it, because the description of being frightened of freedom closing in on you is beautiful.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those two adjectives summarize the tone of the movie nicely. :) It's a quote that goes beyond the context of the movie, so I'm glad, because its wisdom is infinite and universal.

      Delete
  5. I've heard of this movie before. I'd be interested in watching it now though, now that I know what it is about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I've convinced you. Please do, I hope you enjoy it. :)

      Delete
  6. I WANT TO WATCH THIS MOVIE. 0_0 I actually own the comic but it's on my kindle, whiiiich is on my iPod and the thought of painstakingly trying to read a comic on there just hasn't got me yet. BUT I WILL READ IT SOON. I love the sound of this!!
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU SHOULD. I have your willingness but for the comics--I really want to read them! Glad you liked the quote. :)

      Delete
  7. I've heard so much about that movie, but I've never seen it.
    This definitely convinced me to look more into it, though, maybe I will watch it sometime soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, its definitely not for all people but its serves well as food for thought. :)

      Delete
  8. I really enjoyed V for Vendetta! I watched it at a really early age, but it wasn't until recently that I realised it had a lesbian relationship and rewatched it EEK. I do so love the empty stomach quote -- bittersweet truth, that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great movie, isn't it? The end of that relationship was heartbreaking. Indeed, maybe that quote will be used for the second part of this tag? :)

      Delete
  9. hi jo! been away for a while, missed your posts.
    i've watched v for vendetta, thanks for reminding me of that quote.
    it is absolutely beautiful. i can't even.
    i'm so inspired to write about this now, thanks for that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nymisha! I've been away too, I've got to catch up on your blog posts as well. It's a great movie, I'm glad it continues to inspire. :)

      Delete
  10. Nowadays the topic of "Mind freedom" is quite popular because of Worlds changing process. I found that Students like to write research papers on two the most popular topics such as business law papers and Political research papers. And that is quite common for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH MAH WORD.
    YES. I want to watch this movie so much now! I've only vaguely heard about it, but I didn't know there was such a great message behind the movie. Definitely putting it on my movie list. That quote sent chills down my spine!

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you want to publish your comment! The delete option isn't working for some reason--will be fixed soon.