recently: tv, books...is bearable back?

by - 10/09/2016 07:26:00 pm

http://cdn.hitfix.com/photos/6274318/IMG_0255.PNG

TV shows drive me insane. Thinking about the amount of other stuff you could've done after finishing a bad episode is like, wow. Espcially if you had a test the next day (heh).

I started this show called Stranger Things, and at first I kind of regretted it because it seemed too been-there-done-that. You've got a missing kid. You've got supernatural stuff. Science. A dash of government conspiracy—congratulations on making a generic sci-fi show!

Actually, they managed to do what good horror movies do to the genre: they un-clichéd a cliché. Kids and teenagers sound like actual kids and teenagers. And it's fun—like halfway between a heavy-investment movie like The Shawshank Redemption and a movie that doesn't strain as much, like Mean Girls.

Another show I started is Suits, which makes being a lawyer seem like smart-alecking bad guys and getting dough. Or maybe that's actually what it's like. Can I be a lawyer now?

Image result for suits gif tumblr

It's about a genius who can memorise anything, who ends up with a job at a law firm hiring only Harvard graduates. And never even graduated from law school.

I also read a couple of books. If you haven't read Crooked Kingdom or Six of Crows, DO IT. Six thiefs/mercenaries/runaways conduct an epic heist...that's six people to love! Opportunities here!

I'm a little more cautious towards YA books, recently, and I don't know if it's me or the market. I read a lot of books that I wish I could un-read to get back my lost time. Honestly, I don't know what YA books I've been reading. Where's the emotional ride? Where's the ping and the zest?

And where's the depth—remember The Hunger Games, The Knife of Never Letting Go, Blood Red Road? Instead, we get All the Bright Places, which I didn't like at all. Maybe it's not fair to compare a contemporary with dystopians, but I had to slip it in there, it makes this rant possible. Do you like All the Bright Places? Let me know why and I might change my mind. I really do want to like it.

Image result for crooked kingdom Image result for picture of dorian gray book cover Image result for wuthering heights book cover Image result for othello book cover

So maybe you clicked to find out about the status of my blog. I'm back! It's a busy year in high school, there's too much to do for the usual 2-3 posts a week. I think I'll go weekly, every Sunday maybe, and try my best. I hope you've enjoyed what I've written thus far, and continue to like Bearable. Or at least take away something from it, like, "Oh, so this is what happens when you don't do assignments."

I'll definitely do moody heavier posts in classic Bearable fashion, as well as lighter content. I even have a special post for hitting 100 followers: can you guess what it is (hint: on my last special occassion...)?

Now, back to Chemistry (save me)...

You May Also Like

16 comments

  1. SUITS! Good grief, I just started season 5 and I'm not even kidding, last episode of season 4 I threw a bunch of rolled-up socks at my television and swore. Worst part? I'm not even sorry. (Do you ship Donna and Harvey? Just curious)

    The Knife of Never Letting Go is one of my favourite books! Patrick Ness is, in my opinion, a God amongst mortals. Every book of his definitely achieves NOBLE WRITING STRUCTURE (Chemistry references from a chemistry nerd. I'll stop now)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha. My reaction exactly. :') And a little bit! But Harvey is the icon of this show, so I kind of like him as the lone operator that he is.

      YES! Ness is genius. I was a little disappointed with his most recent YA book but I've seen him at his peak with The Knife!

      That chemistry joke reminded me of an exam I have in a few days. Rest in peace sleep...

      Delete
  2. I literally screamed a little when I saw thus in my feed WELCOME BACK I MISSED YOU AND YOUR BLOG AHH. okay anyway, I LOVE STRANGER THINGS, what a show, I can't wait for the next season G AH.

    The Six of Crows series is one of my favorites, the Grisha stories are my favorites in general, honestly Leigh Bardugo is amazing just as a whole.

    So glad to have you back Jo, good luck with Chemistry!

    ~Noor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! Thats so nice. :') And yes, what was up with that ending, right?

      Six of Crows ended so soon! Well, it was perfect, but what happened to Inej? And what about Kaz??? I wish Bardugo would write me a sequel.

      Thanks so much, Noor, looking forward to reading your posts again!

      Delete
  3. YES YOU ARE BACK, JO!!!

    I was so excited when I read your comment on my blog I was like YES SHE'S BACK IN THE BLOG WORLD. Ugh, I am so dreading Chemistry :\ I can't wait to read your upcoming posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS AUTUMN. <3

      Chemistry problems. :( I can't wait to read yours, too!

      Delete
  4. YESSSS JO IS BACK!! Welcome back! Now, please don't run away again. Okay? Okay. (ugh TFIOS reference please ignore) ANYWAY I watched the first episode of Stranger Things because #hype and it's good! But I'm not a fan of scary things so ??? I'm undecided about continuing. I LOVED CROOKED KINGDOM THO OMGGG WASN'T IT SO GOOD?? I cried like 3 times. I was so overwhelmed with these ... feelings. Thanks Leigh. :):

    anna | annaish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Annaish! And I won't. Okay. ;) It's so great, isn't it? It's definitely got the horror element to it, but since I'm most scared about gore and blood rather than supernatural things, I think I will continue to watch it. YES CROOKED KINGDOM! Won't you miss Kaz? :(

      Delete
  5. Hah, the way you talk about Suits reminds me of when me and my sisters binge-watched Criminal Minds together and all decided we wanted to be FBI profilers. :) I've heard lots of good things about both of these shows; they're on my (enormous) to-watch list.

    I honestly feel the same about a lot of YA books right now. When they're good, there's nothing better, but I feel like so many of them stick to the same shallow, tired-out formula. There are still a bunch of fantastic young adult books out there--if you don't mind horror and gore, The Monstrumologist series is wonderful. So is the Every series by Ellie Marney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. TV magic can make any job look fun, I bet. CSI makes forensic science look like a party!

      I agree with you so much, there's nothing more disappointing than seeing a great concept weighed down by the same YA clichés. I've heard of the latter! I'll definitely have a read. I also quite enjoyed the Six of Crows books. :)

      Delete
  6. jo!! You're back! Huzzah! You've been missed. :)

    I've heard that a lot of people like Stranger Things, but I've yet to see it. Oh, and Six of Crows! I've been wanting to read that book for a while now. It sounds so good!

    *internal screaming* YOU MENTIONED BLOOD RED ROAD! I love that book so much. There's just so much, so much. . . I don't know how to say it. But the relationships are so real. And Saba's voice and the world building, all on point. I've not read All the Bright Places though, because it's contemporary. Contemporary and I usually don't get along because, as you mentioned, no depth.

    Sooo, can I rec you a book? (I don't know maybe you've already read it.) But if you're looking for a dystopian with some sustenance to it, have you tried Red Rising by Pierce Brown? I really enjoyed a lot of the themes and it has a great cast of characters.

    Anyhow, glad you're back! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a warm welcome, Ashley!

      If you do read the book one day, you should tell me what you think! I love discussing Six of Crows. It's like book Ocean Eleven but with better characterisation. :')

      ME TOO. It's one of my favourite YA novels of all time, so intense and great attention to plot and world-building! I know, right? You'd think contemporaries would have a lot of depth, but many of the bestsellers tend to disappoint.

      I've heard of it! It's on my TBR, but I shall bump it up a few positions on the list!

      Thanks Ashley, looking forward to reading your posts again. :)

      Delete
  7. Yay you're back!! Crooked Kingdom was amazing. I'm sad you didn't like All The Bright Places - I enjoyed it myself. It's so hard to know what YA books will be good and which ones won't, and who will like them and who won't.

    Looking forward to your upcoming posts, whatever they might be :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Opal! :) Thanks for the welcome. I was disappointed with it, but it wasn't too bad of a book as I make it out to be. It seems my reviews overreach themselves. Wouldn't it be a fun idea to get all the book bloggers together and compare our ratings for popular YA books? Really gets a feel for the unpredictability of YA.

      Looking forward to yours as always!

      Delete
  8. Stranger Things is not designed to showcase original television elements. Cliches such as missing kids, government conspiracy, and the supernatural powers are exactly what the Duffer brothers want Stranger Things to be, stuff you have all seen before. Stranger Things is designed to be an amalgamation of movie and television tropes you have seen before, because the Duffer brothers intend to prove that things the audience dismisses as boring and "been there done that" can still impact. There is nothing original in Stranger Things, but the shows strength lies in reinventing the tropes everyone knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can agree with that. It's definitely one of its strengths. :)

      Delete

Make sure you want to publish your comment! The delete option isn't working for some reason--will be fixed soon.