the problem with trump and hillary

by - 11/09/2016 02:15:00 pm

Image result for hillary clinton 2016

I'm not going to pretend like I know the ins-and-outs of American politics. And this post isn't really about the 2016 presidential race. It's a post about our complacency. Is it possible we've become too complacent? Have we become too entitled?

In our weeky assembly, one of the teachers did a speech. "I hate to say it, but entitlement is a problem for your generation." How can Generation X speak for Millenials? I thought. I forgot about it in half a second.

When I was watching the presidential debates, it came back to me. I saw Trump fighting off allegations of racism against Obama. Then I saw Hillary trying to defend the actions of the Clintons while they were dual powers in government. And you hear some pretty horrible stuff they say and do, discarding whatever you think about their policies, like Trump refusing to pay people who worked labour for his companies or Hillary going against her public views for campaign contributions, and denying them.

How did they become the final candidates? Was it our entitlement? After all, this is the era of outrage—sometimes outrage that's shallow and careless, and not for the best of reasons. So maybe we forget to check track records in favour of getting recognition for our outrage. Trump seems especially good at this, moving outraged crowds with one-liners and bold promises.

Image result for trump

Even if we wanted to end corruption, we gave it power. Or if we didn't, the system did, but by refusing to acknowledge or fight a broken system, we have become complacent. We feel entitled to our outrage. Every time we dismiss corruption, say, by denying Hillary's debt and therefore probable allegiance to Wall Street, we are entitled to our ignorance. Because we are outraged for issues we care about, and if a politician makes promises to fix those issues, we forget to be careful.

Ironically, maybe its because we have too much information that we don't search deeper. We respond to what we see on the surface, because social media will overtake you if you're not quick enough.

I know that people will vote to serve their own interests. And that's okay. When the time comes, who's to say I won't do the same? But for now I will speak what I see, and that is complaining about the government screwing you over means nothing if you put them there in the first place.

--

What do you think of the American system? Who do you think will win? Do people own the power, or does the power own the people?

P.S. I really am back. School holidays are near. ;)

You May Also Like

18 comments

  1. I want to say something about the election but because of my lack of knowledge regarding everything circulating around each of the candidates, it's really hard for me to say something-- Trump says outrageous things, while Hillary seems like the calmer of the two, but because of her past actions... I don't know. What I do know is that this is a close call (I'm writing this as results are pouring about what states voted what).

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I live in Australia so I really can't have a local opinion on this. In the end, voting comes down to what will help you and the people you care about, and if that means voting for an unpopular candidate, I guess I can't disagree with that. It really was a close call, wasn't it?

      Delete
  2. I think Trump will win lol xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the help of my team of advanced political scientists, and very high-tech software, as well as the benefit of hindsight, I can say that it is very likely that Donald Trump will win the 2016 presidential election. Whether people own the power, or power owning the people depends mainly on circumstances, as each influences the other better in different scenarios.I hope to read more blogging from you in the future.
    -Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah this election was pretttty crazy. and trump won. i have no idea how he did, but he did. sadly. all i can do is pray for this country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can't believe how emotionally involved everyone was in this election. I guess that would be a wise thing to do. :')

      Delete
  5. Very awesome post that I totally (mostly) agree with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE THIS BLOG!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally agree xoxoxo Keep it up my favourite internet global superstar!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is just crazy where we have gone! I am glad you had the courage to post this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, this election cycle has been like some wacko, reality TV show that we can't stop watching for some reason. It's also been very revealing of the current situation and instability of American politics and the country as a whole. I feel like no matter what happens the next four years, it will undeniably alter the course of the country for decades to come.

    Anyways, I can't wait to read more of your stuff!

    Love, your biggest fan <3 xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pretty neat way to sum up the election! I hope Trump's legacy will be a net positive.

      Thank you. <3

      Delete

Make sure you want to publish your comment! The delete option isn't working for some reason--will be fixed soon.