ever listened to a podcast?

by - 5/22/2017 07:02:00 pm


I always thought audiobooks were strange. The average person reads 300 words a minute, but an audiobook reads at half this speed. Wouldn't you want to know what happens sooner?

That's when I got into podcasts. The first podcast I ever heard was Serial. The one about the guy who killed his girlfriend ... if he did. It's complicated. You start believing the best of the guy and the worst of others.

I listen to other podcasts, too. RT Podcast, Off Topic and Always Open. But the ones that make me want to put down my books are Rabbits and Tanis.

There's something different about the atmosphere of a podcast. If you read just the transcript like you would a book, it wouldn't be the same. The music, recordings, conversations, pauses and live storytelling - it's more than immersive. Coming from voices you trust, fiction seems real.

Image result for rabbits podcast  Image result for tanis

Rabbits is recent, with only six episodes and released three months ago. It's a bi-weekly podcast about a missing friend who went too deep into an alternate reality game, narrated by a concered friend and investigator. Imagine being obsessed with a video game. You watch for clues or easter eggs, over and over. You play the game endlessly. What's that, it's been 48 hours? I hadn't noticed...

Doesn't that just sound horror?

Tanis is three seasons in and the episodes are only 30 minutes each. It's about the myth of Tanis. What's Tanis? That's what the narrator's trying to find out. But it's led to many deaths and other mysteries. It takes all the creepy real events you've ever heard and asks you to consider if they're connected. A woman performs a strange sequence in an elevator, and the next thing you know ... she's dead on the roof of a hotel.

Both have such high stakes. You get a little afraid that you know too much, that those who want this information hidden are coming for you. They're both so deliciously creepy, you can't even imagine. After each episode of Rabbits – especially the first three – I had to rest for a few minutes to continue. Then I had to stop the second episode of Tanis and ... I decided now would be a good time to eat gummy worms and watch Beauty and the Beast.

I can't say it enough: go listen immediately. Play the game. Solve the mystery. Don't regret it.

You May Also Like

14 comments

  1. I've stared listening to podcasts-- I feel like their picking up speed again, which is good! I've mainly been listening to those with topics centered in reality (these podcasts telling stories sound so neat), and I really enjoy them.

    xoxo Abigail Lennah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reality based podcasts are awesome. I've always wanted to try one called 99& Invisible, if you've heard of it? :)

      Delete
  2. I NEED TO START. I listen to comedy a lot almost too often. I am a sucker for bad and dirty jokes. GOD FORGIVE ME <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started listening to Serial this summer, actually! I'm going to finish soon, so thanks for these recommendations. :D I find I do like the immersive aspect of podcasts—I've tried the podcasts that are more like talk shows or whatever, but I find I like the podcasts that revolve more around a narrative structure are more enjoyable. Thanks for sharing these—I'm definitely going to listen to them, soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty good, isn't it? :D I prefer the narrative ones too. I never thought podcasts could be used like audiobooks, only more immersive. No worries!

      Delete
  4. Hmm, I've never really listened to podcasts or audiobooks, to be honest. Audiobooks for the same reason that you said, but I think I could get into podcasts if I tried? MAYBE I WILL SOMETIME. They sound a little more interesting than audio books. (Actually, I have listened to audiobooks...like once. Many years back. It was Sherlock Holmes, to be fair. *cough* NOT A HIGH RECOMMENDATION THERE)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeha, audiobooks read too slow for me. SHERLOCK! Oh wow. Imagine reading War and Peace as an audiobook though...:') I think you'd like podcasts. :)

      Delete
  5. I've always wanted to get into podcasts! I'll definitely keep your recommendations in mind :) The trouble is that I just can't sit still long enough. I get frustrated because I know I could get through the material three times faster if I read it in novel format. Podcasts seem super fun, though, and I definitely want to like them. I might try them again this summer!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude...I can relate. I find podcasts are quite different, though. :) I hope you enjoy the podcasts!

      Delete
  6. whoa, rabbits sounds amazing...i'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hm, these sounds really interesting! I've never listened to a podcast, but I'd be willing to give it a try. Tanis sounds good, but it might creep me out too much if I listen to it at night alone. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I did and I freaked out. :') 10/10 chills.

      Delete

Make sure you want to publish your comment! The delete option isn't working for some reason--will be fixed soon.