movies that slap, smack and punch

by - 7/30/2017 07:48:00 pm

Image result for matt damon good will hunting
via
(Before you proceed any further, quick! Pick one of the Elliott Smith songs in Good Will Hunting down below and have a listen. I wonder – what measure of a difference does each one make when reading this post? Which song did you pick?)


If movies were hitters, Toy Story would be Chris Brown. Good Will Hunting would be Mike Tyson.

Sometimes a really great movie will come along and give you a slap-in-the-face reality check. The movies I've seen recently? Not so much. Joe and Caspar Hit the Road had about as much life lessons as a Youtube comments section. Joe and Caspar Hit the Road begs you to hit it.

But I loved Good Will Hunting. An MIT janitor is a hidden mathematical genius discovered by the professor when he solves a puzzle that no graduate could. I know, I know. You're thinking it's going to be about wasted potential and how the genius could use his brains for something greater.

Annnnd you'd be right. But the movie doesn't manipulate you into believing it. We care more about Will Hunting – the genius janitor – than his brain. Because the film makes us wonder why a microprossessing human with a thinking speed of 110 km/h wants to stay as far away from life's pitfalls as humanly possible.

Will Hunting has a photographic memory. He knows every line in every chapter, of every book he's read. But the books he reads are his whole world. He hasn't experienced anything beyond what's in literature.

Image result for good will hunting gif
"You don't know about real loss, 'cause that only occurs when you love something more than you love yourself. I doubt you've ever dared to love anybody that much."
Weren't we all Will once? I used to live through books. The real world was pale, pale. Even when I was goofing around in third grade, Percy Jackson was better. Alanna was what I looked forward too every night before I went to bed. Fiction went up and down while reality was a flat line. My mind stayed inside books long after visiting hours were over.

But even though we love to pretend we're at Hogwarts or Camp Half-Blood, life can't really about the places you've been. Nor is it really about the things you've done. Why should those things matter to us? What does it matter what you've done if there's no one to do it with you? Nobody rides a rollercoaster alone.

I am Will Hunting. I have never been in love – but I have loved...

family
friends
classmates
teachers
competitors
online friends
pets
strangers
and everything in between.

In the end, isn't it people that make everything worthwhile?

I can't help but love a movie that can remind me of these things (although it's a little ironic, isnt it? A two hour movie telling me to get off the screen.)

Image result for good will hunting gif

Whenever I think about this, I picture Kevin Spacey in American Beauty (another hard hitter): "I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life."

I can't agree more, Spacey.

You May Also Like

5 comments

  1. Good Will Hunting is really good! I'd never properly listened to the soundtrack, so thank you for sharing that with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of the movie until now, but just... wow. The premise actually sounds pretty intriguing. It is pretty ironic, though, that we love fiction more than people but people make our lives go around. Huh.

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh gosh, i've been staring at the cover of this movie for months now, debating whether or not to finally dive in. this has most definitely convinced me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's a really refreshing take on the movie. makes me want to watch it more.. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, Good Will Hunting is just the best! I definitely cried the first time I watched it (and maybe the second and third times). Alanna, Percy, Will, we are all old friends, but still, I know nothing.

    Perhaps not so much with movies, but these days, I prefer not to read the YA books that have become so popular. I specialize in classics, particularly Golding, Orwell, and Dickens. Those are books that definitely slap, smack, and punch.
    Also, just wanted to ask, but do you like apples? ;)

    Aliah | Indigo Ink

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you want to publish your comment! The delete option isn't working for some reason--will be fixed soon.